Though dental crowns have been around for decades and are one of the most common dental restorations available, there are some facts about dental crowns that may surprise you. Here are eight things to know before you receive a dental crown:
1. A dental crown is a tooth-shaped, hollow cap that can be made of porcelain, metal, or porcelain fused with metal. Your dental crown is created to fit the size and shape of your natural teeth.
2. These prosthetics are cemented into place on top of the natural tooth structure or dental restoration for long-lasting support, function, and stability. They are designed to only be removed by a dental professional.
3. A dental crown can be used to restore a weak or damaged tooth following root canal treatment or the removal of a large cavity.
4. Dental crowns can prevent dental extraction in some cases. When a tooth is severely damaged but the majority of the tooth is still healthy, a dental crown covers the remaining healthy tooth structure and eliminates the need for dental extraction.
5. Dental crowns complete dental implants by attaching to the top of the implant post, and are often used to replace single areas of tooth loss.
6. Dental crowns can improve the appearance of healthy teeth that are misshapen, too short, or otherwise unattractive.
7. The average life of a dental crown is usually 5 to 15 years, though the longevity depends on the level of care and your state of dental health.
8. Dental crowns should be replaced if they are showing cracks or chips or have tooth decay developing around the edges. With regular visits to the dentist and proper care, you can extend the life of your crown for several years.
We are pleased to offer further information about these versatile dental restorations. Contact us at 951-737-1149 today for everything you need to know about dental crowns in Corona, CA. Our dentist, Dr. Rex Bullock, and our team look forward to helping you achieve a strong, healthy smile!